Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Week 7 Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part B

So I forgot to do this as I went, so I'm doing recap thoughts and the rest of what I have to read. I know it worked for the Pandavas, but I felt terrible for the woman with 5 sons who ended up perishing in the fire. If they knew something could happen, how could they in good conscience let them fall asleep in the house?

The 1 wife and 5 husbands was definitely weird to me. I cracked up. Just the past story of her feeling abandoned by her husband, and getting "blessed" with 5 husbands (although that sounds like a pain, I do well to handle one man). From the brothers standpoint, I wonder what jealousy issues they had if any. Just seems weird overall.

I really liked following the travels of Arjuna. The nymphs was interesting (being alligators). I'm definitely getting the vibe there's not really free-will going on. Everything is pre-destined. ....Okay wait...abducting a bride? What the heck. That's not how you make friends people...or get a wife. But I guess it is in this. Then she's the handmaiden to Draupadi, and then they got along? My brain just does not like this.  Maya's palace sounds beautiful, but I would definitely be like Duryodhana and be confused.
Gambling Draupadi? Thats terrible. Also Duryodhana is definitely a jerk and I don't like him in the least.I like Bhima. I hope he gets his revenge in battle. People definitely deserve it. Poor Kunti with her sounds/daughter in law being away from her for so long.


(Queen Kunti from Flickr)

Bibiolgraphy :

Gibbs, Laura. “Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics.” PDE Mahabharata, 1 Jan. 1970, http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/search/label/PDE Mahabharata.


No comments:

Post a Comment