Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part D

I see we are still at the Kaurava's being dumb, and causing the death of Bhishma. Karna is making terrible decisions too. I don't like the poem page. I had a hard time keeping my attention pulled in because I get into the Lilt more than the story. Abhimanyu's death is so sad. As I had said in previous notes, I can't imagine burying a child. Poor Arjuna. So much war. Everyone falling one by one.

I did find it funny about...

 Yudhishthira answered in a clear voice, "Yes, O Drona! Ashwatthaman is dead!" And this he said three times. But after the word Ashwatthaman he said indistinctly each time the words "the elephant." These words, however, Drona did not hear...


What trickery. but again I can empathize with Drona believing he lost his son. Tasting blood, even if it was a promise for your wife, is disgusting. No thanks. You can have it all Bhima. I know it Karma, but Arjuna killing Karna is sad. I had hoped they would patch up their relationship and embrace each other as brothers. Krishna seems to be the voice of reason. Even if something didn't seem to fit their morals, he would advise what he believed to be the right reason. I don't get being happy with killing everyone. This definitely does not seem to be a happy story. Draupadi has lost a lot, but it still seems like she is always whining and throwing her own fit. Like, she's irrational. I like that the Pandavas show regret and true emotions versus the Kauravas always showing anger. Bhishma's death was so sad, but it's nice he could hold on to give advice. Uttara's story is sad too, but I don't understand wanting to chose your husband over your child. As a mother, my mentality is children first, ALWAYS. 

Why did Arjuna's son want to kill Arjuna? I'm glad there was the stone to revive him, and the were okay after. It still seems weird to me thought that his son is who defeats him. Why wouldn't he be in line for the throne though? Didn't they say all hope was on the baby? Poor horse. I get the reasons why. But I still felt terrible.Wait.... We are calling Draupadi virtuous and full of wisdom? Okay then... 

So much death happens. Even just visiting the elders along the river. It was nice thought that Vyasa allowed them a visit with their loved ones, and offered for the widows to go with them. And then back to fighting. Why is it so hard for everyone to get along? I wish all death could be as nice and simple as the Pandavas. It's our time and we will just walk into it together. Well I say that until each keeps falling. Why are all the Kauravas there? IT seemed like they were nothing but mean and spiteful their whole time on earth. Ohhhh it was a test. I'm glad to see them all reunited happily in the end.

(Krishna from Flickr)

Gibbs, Laura. “Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics.” PDE Mahabharata, 1 Jan. 1970, http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/search/label/PDE Mahabharata.

No comments:

Post a Comment