Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part C


Being in the woods seems like it would definitely suck, but the copper pot with food seems like it wold be a huge help. It also seems like Bhima is great at protecting them all.  I'm glad Krishna is on their side. Draupadi sounds like s spoiled brat, but at the same time I get it. I would have some issues with it too. I could definitely see the struggle between choosing to fight, or honoring your word.
Arjuna is intense. That sounds like a tough life to life, fasting and praying with your arms raised all day. The fact he still had the strength to wrestle with The Great God, and do it well enough to be gifted. So many Gods, so many gifts. I also admire how pure he can be in the fact he is not swayed by all the women calling to him.

Ohhh Yudhishthira learned dice. I hope that is some foreboding about revenge and getting their empire back. Hanuman! How nice to see (read) a familiar face. I love how it ties the Mahabharata to the Ramayana. Even cooler that he and Bhima are half brothers.

Duryodhana is a hot mess, and two faced. Don't act all grateful for being saved, but harbor mortification and resentment. It's not the Pandavas fault you lost. He sounds so petty. "I'll just wait here and die then". *inset eye roll here* Then deciding to go back and play King, and keep up the feud. Man needs to be smacked. Also, Karna is gross and should definitely wash his feet. Indra meets him and agreed to exchange one invincible dart for Karna's jewelry. Will it be worth it though?

These women are killing me. Men leave them unguarded and terrible things happen. First Sita, and now  Draupadi? At least Bhima got Jayadratha and punished him accordingly. Then everyone drinking the water and dying.... surely they should know better. Thank goodness Yudhishthira could answer the riddles, reveal Dharma (his dad) and bring everyone back to life.

Poor Draupadi, for a second time she had troubles with outside men. It definitely seems that Beauty is a curse for these women. But she's also dark, I don't think I would want to see my husband kill someone, even if it was for myself. The Kauravas seem to be whiny brats. I wish it would be as simple as sending messages to have the kingdom restored, but I highly doubt that would ever ever ever happen. SO I agree 10000% for getting ready for war. Once again Duryodhana is acting like a brat and always focused on anger. What a tough call for Karna, but I get the mindset too. He doesn't want to seem weak and like he gave in, he wants to earn it and support those who have been his friends. I'm glad he at least offered to spare 4 of the brothers if it comes to it. It is a tough spot to be in. I like that Arjuna compared Duryodhana to women.I do like when it comes to war, for the most part, family protects family. What a sad battle. I could only picture the scene, and it breaks my heart. Losing a son is something I can't even imagine. What heartbreak that would be.
(Arjuna from Flickr)


Gibbs, Laura. “Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics.” PDE Mahabharata, 1 Jan. 1970, http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/search/label/PDE Mahabharata.

No comments:

Post a Comment