Sunday, September 15, 2019

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana, Part D


Poor Sita. I can only imagine how scary it would be. Kidnapped and guarded, being tortured in a way because she was staying loyal to her husband. So much time had passed and she had started to wonder if he forgot her. That's a lot to handle. I don't blame a girl at all for contemplating suicide. I'm sure Hanuman showing up was definitely a relief. I love how he handled it to. Letting himself be caught, and destroying a lot of it was wonderful. I'm sure Rama could appreciate it. But of course Ravana would rebuild it immediately (insert eye roll). All could think during Ravana's complaints was "Karma sucks, huh".  Also, I kept thinking he's asking for trouble. The motto i've always heard was "play stupid games, win a stupid prize" and it seems fitting here.
His stupidity lead to the death of almost everyone that surrounded him, and finally himself.
Sita goes hardcore, jumping into the fire to prove herself to Rama. Bharatha is the same way, refusing to live when he thinks Rama isn't returning. I'm glad everything was restored and it was a traditional, happy ending.



(Indra from Flickr)

Narayan, R. K. The Ramayana. Vision Books, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment