Monday, September 2, 2019

Feedback thoughts

I love the idea for these positive feedback articles. I think it's definitely something lacking in our society. So much of the time we focus on the negativities in our lives and in others instead of the positives and how they can improve.

I definitely tend to be a perfectionist, get anxiety, and way overthink things. So the first article that caught my attention was Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head. I like the mentality of not nitpicking every little negative thing in your head, but indeed just focusing on the positives and how they can come into play and help you improve. So many times people shrug off positives and focus solely on the negatives. It can be hard to take compliments, but easy to accept what we perceive to be insults. It's definitely something i'm guilty of, so it's nice to have the reminder to step back, and know it's okay, and how to handle it.

The second article that caught my attention was Rewire Your Self-Critical Brain. It goes really well with the previous article but instead of externally, it focuses on internally. We are our own worst critics. Its so easy to get into a negative slump and it just starts a while downward spiral. Focusing on congratulating ourselves and focusing on the positives can change the course of our whole day. Positive thinking tends to infiltrate into every aspect of our lives. We tend to feel better about ourselves and our situations. However, negativity is definitely an easier choice so it is definitely something that has to be worked at.

The best feedback I had received was usually from my choir classes. We had to work as a group so it was a team effort. It could go either way (really bad or great) depending on the focus of all the individuals. Even just hearing the outcome was great feedback. However, I  have had a lot of negative feedback in my life too. I have had multiple teachers/professors give a low grade and give some feedback, but not enough to understand what they were wanting and what I did wrong from their ideas. Many times I had followed the directions given and just felt defeated. Work wise they tend to focus on a lot more positives with just a few "need to work on" areas which I appreciate as well. My boss in particular does a well job of wording it more as building up instead of tearing down.

(Image from Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment