Saturday, September 14, 2019

Feedback Strategies

So the first article I chose was "What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow". Of course this jumped out since I am a mom of a wonderful 8 year old boy. I will take any suggestions/tips on how I can help him. I really appreciated how it jumped right into the language used is important. That's a message i've always believed in and have tried to stress to others. Wording is everything. It can definitely either help or hinder whatever it is you are trying to do. We're so quick to teach consequences for bad actions, most of the time as parents we don't focus on consequences in a good way. Focusing on what/how they did good is an idea I can definitely get behind. My son is
ADHD and has Autism so he struggles, this could help him understand more.

The second one I chose was "How to Provide Great Feedback When You're Not In Charge". This one jumped out because I have gone from a Management position to just another member on a team elsewhere. It's definitely a change and can be a learning curve of how to address things. I love that they broke it down into 3 categories - Appreciation, Advice, and Evaluation. I definitely agree with praising the person, but separating actions when it comes to improvements. I have to use this a lot with my child too. "No, you're not a bad kid. You've just made a bad choice" is a common conversation in our household. Although I definitely don't like Evaluations if I can help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment