Saturday, August 17, 2019

Growth Mindset

As a single mother, I liked the ideas that were discussed in the Growth Mindset TED talk. My child is also ADHD/High functioning autistic, so we have chosen to home school because of the issues of his learning style to traditional schools. He has had to find other ways to learn, and struggles on tests with black and white "You failed" or "You passed". The idea of rewarding the process is something that could be very valuable to him so he's not as discouraged.

I hadn't heard of this before, but it is something we have tried to work on anyways. It has helped his confidence in learning and trying to get to the destination. I know I've also had issues with the black/white in eduction, and have easily gotten overwhelmed. I think if we focused more on the process, it would help with attitudes/mindsets, and even retention of information. I have studied too many times just to pass the test, and then forgot everything.

Every semester I worry about grades, balancing a full time work load, and being a single mother. I worry about balancing, and studying enough to get the "perfect" answers to work on my GPA. Many classes if it's not EXACTLY what they want, it penalizes the grade which is discouraging. I really appreciate this class, where it is definitely more about learning/doing and not so much grades and perfect answers.

(Image from Growthmindset blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment