Sunday, December 1, 2019

Week 14 extra credit reading: Rouse's The Giant Crab and other Tales

This week I chose to read Rouse's The Giant Crab and other Tales. It seemed like slightly different versions of the same tales that are in Babbitt's Jataka Tales.

I think I like Babbitt's more just because they seemed like an easier read. However I loved comparing and contrasting the two. I would love to know why the differences between the two were there. I ended up basing my story from the Talkative Tortoise that was in both versions.

I don't have a lot of recap notes because I feel like i've written out all the stories before. But I really appreciate having multiple sources to read. The stories also remind me of Aesop's fables since there is usually some sort of take away lesson.

The image I chose seemed fitting because it looks like the Tortoise is talking.

(image from Flickr)



Gibbs, Laura. “Overview. Rouse. Giant Crab.” Overview. Rouse. Giant Crab, 1 Jan. 1970, http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/free-book-rouse-giant-crab.html.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dorothy! I like that you took advantage of the extra credit reading assignment as it motivates me to do it to bring up my grade as well. Although I like your efforts to complete this and that you used the Giant Crab story, I don't see the notes to this story that would help me read the outline of the story and see the summary rather than reading the story myself. Having bullet pointed notes or just short and concise sentences that allowed the audience to be able to get the jist of the jhataka would really help as the readers would not have to spend an hour reading the entire story. Good job though!

    ReplyDelete